Book series (reporting on research by many ELL ReN members, 2015-present): Early Language Learning In School Contexts
Channel View Publications & Multilingual Matters, Janet Enever, series editor.
Channel View Publications & Multilingual Matters, Janet Enever, series editor.
JOURNAL LAUNCH IN 2019 - Language Teaching for Young Learners
- EDITORS: Dingfang Shu & Rod Ellis, Shanghai International Studies University and Curtin University, Australia
- ASSOCIATE EDITOR: Yan Zhu (Fudan University); BOOK REVIEW EDITOR: Jonathan Newton (Victoria University of Wellington, New Zealand)
- A journal focusing on the teaching of second or foreign languages for young learners and the learning that results (includes both children and adolescents)
- Open call for papers, visit: http://benjamins.com/catalog/ltyl - or contact the editors: firstname.lastname@example.org
Publications by network members (listed by type and year):
Journal articles (by ReN year)
- Zein, M. S. (2014). Factors affecting the professional development of elementary English teachers. Professional Development in Education, doi:10.1080/19415257.2015.1005243
- Courtney, L., Graham, S., Tonkyn, A. and Marinis, T. (2015) Individual differences in early language learning: a study of English learners of French. Applied Linguistics. ISSN 1477-450X http://centaur.reading.ac.uk/45952/
- García Mayo, M.P. & Lázaro Ibarrola, A. (2015). Oral interaction strategies among EFL and CLIL children in task-based pair work. System 54: 40-54.
- Kearney, E. & Barbour, A. (2015). Embracing, contesting and negotiating new languages: Young children’s early socialization into foreign language learning. Linguistics and Education, 31, 159-173.
- Mourão, S. (2015). ‘Fostering affective responses to picturebooks in the young learner classroom’, Humanising Language Teaching, August 2015.
- Prosic-Santovac, Danijela (2015) Making the Match: Traditional Nursery Rhymes and Teaching English to Modern Children. CLELE Journal, Vol. 3/1: 25-48. http://clelejournal.org/article-2-3/
- Sayer, P. (2015). “More & Earlier”: Neoliberalism and Primary English Education in Mexican Public Schools. L2 Journal, Vol.7/3: 40-56. http://escholarship.org/uc/item/9fr9w0gv
- Zein, M. S. (2015). Preparing elementary English teachers: Innovations at pre service level. Australian Journal of Teacher Education, 40(6), 104-120. doi: 10.14221/ajte.2015v40n6.6
- Bland, J. (2016). English Language Education and Ideological Issues: Picturebooks and Diversity. Children’s Literature in English Language Education.4/2, 41-64. http://clelejournal.org/article-3-picturebooks-and-diversity/
- Enever, J. & Lindgren, E. (2016). Early language learning in instructed contexts - Editorial introduction. Education Inquiry. Vol. 7, No. 1, pp. 1-8.
- Enever, J. (2016). What can we expect of an early start to foreign language learning in Europe today? Gyermeknevelés, No. 1: 1-9.
- Graham, S., Courtney, L., Tonkyn, A. and Marinis, T. (2016) Motivational trajectories for early language learning across the primary-secondary school transition. British Educational Research Journal, 42 (4). pp. 682-702. ISSN 1469-3518 http://centaur.reading.ac.uk/50473/
- Hilton, H. E., Lenart, E. & Zoghlami, N. (2016) Compréhension et production en anglais L2 à l’école primaire. Revue française de linguistique appliquée XX1 (n° 2), 65-80. [Comprehension and production in L2 English at primary school]
- Ibrahim, N. (2016). Enacting identities: children’s narratives on person, place and experience in fixed and hybrid spaces. Education Inquiry, 7(10), pp. 69-91
- Ramirez-Romero, J-L. & Sayer, P. (2016) (Guest Editors). Journal Special Issue. English Language Teaching in Public Primary Schools in Latin America. EPAA/AAAPE Vol. 24. See attachment. Also downloadable at: : http://epaa.asu.edu/ojs/issue/view/vol24
- Rymarczyk, J. (2016). Early reading and writing in the foreign language classroom – maybe not as controversial as one might think. Babylonia. 2, 53-57.
- Zein, M. S. (2016). Professional development needs of primary EFL teachers: Perspectives of teachers and teacher educators. Professional Development in Education. doi:10.1080/19415257.2016.1156013
- Zein, M. S. (2016). Government-based training agencies and the professional development of Indonesian English for Young Learners teachers: Perspectives from complexity theory. Journal of Education for Teaching: International Research and Pedagogy, 42(2), 205-223. doi:10.1080/02607476.2016.1143145
- Zein, M. S. (2016). Pre-service education for primary school English teachers in Indonesia: Policy implications. Asia Pacific Journal of Education, 36(S1), 119-134. doi:10.1080/02188791.2014.961899
- Graham, S., Courtney, L., Marinis, T. and Tonkyn, A. (2017) Early language learning: the impact of teaching and teacher factors. Language Learning. ISSN 0023-8333 (In Press) http://centaur.reading.ac.uk/70107/
- Courtney, L. (2017) Transition in modern foreign languages: a longitudinal study of motivation for language learning and second language proficiency. Oxford Review of Education. ISSN 0305-4985 (In Press) http://centaur.reading.ac.uk/68977/
- Jaekel, N., Schurig, M., Florian, M. & Ritter, M. (2017). From Early Starters to Late Finishers? A Longitudinal Study of Early Foreign Language Learning in School. Language Learning, pp. 1-34. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/lang.12242/abstract
- Tsali A. & Alexiou, T. (2017). Dyslexia and reading through coloured background in Greek primary EFL learning. Journal of Applied Linguistics, Annual Publication of the Greek Applied Linguistics Association, Issue 31 (84-107). http://www.enl.auth.gr/gala/jal/online_vol.asp?Vol=31
- Zein, M. S. (2017). To postpone or not to postpone? Examining access policy on early foreign language learning from second language acquisition and language planning and policy perspectives. Applied Linguistics Review. doi:10.1515/applirev-2016-1044
- Zein, M. S. (2017). Professional development needs of primary EFL teachers: Perspectives of teachers and teacher educators. Professional Development in Education, 43(2), 293-313.
- Zein, M. S. (2017). Elementary English education in Indonesia: Policy developments, current practices, and future prospects. English Today, 33(1), 53-59.
- Zein, M. S. (2017). The pedagogy of teaching English to Young Learners: Implications for teacher education. Indonesian Journal of English Language Teaching, 9(1), 1-14.
- Huang, B. H., Chang, Y.-h., Zhi, M., & Niu, L. (forthcoming). The Effect of Input on Bilingual Adolescents’ Long-Term Language Outcomes in a Foreign Language Instruction Context. International Journal of Bilingualism.
- Huang, B. H., & Kuo, L.-J. (forthcoming). The role of input in bilingual children’s language and literacy Development: Introduction to the Special issue. International Journal of Bilingualism.
- Sayer, P., Butler, Y., & Huang, B. H. (2018). Social Class/Social Economic Status and Young Learners of English as a Global Language. System: An International Journal of Educational Technology and Applied Linguistics.
- Zein, M. S. (2018). Access policy on English language education at primary school level in the ASEAN Plus Three member states: Motivations, challenges and future directions. Asian Englishes, 18(3).
- Ibrahim, N. (2019). Children’s Multimodal Visual Narratives as Possible Sites of Identity Performance. In P. Kalaja and S. Melo-Pfeifer (eds.). Visualising Multilingual Lives: More Than Words. Clevedon: Multilingual Matters. http://www.multilingual-matters.com/display.asp?K=9781788922623
- Wilden, E. & Porsch, R. (2019). The illusion of inclusion? Evaluating inclusive primary English as a foreign language education in an innovative special educational needs school. Zeitschrift Für Fremdsprachenforschung, 2019(1), 3–20.
- Erdemir, E. & Brutt-Griffler, J. (2020). Vocabulary development through peer interactions in early childhood: A case study of an emergent bilingual child in preschool. International Journal of Bilingual Education and Bilingualism. https://doi.org/10.1080/13670050.2020.1722058
- Conference Book of Abstracts (2015). Teaching English to Young Learners: Assessment and Learning. University of Kragujevac, Faculty of Education in Jagodina, Serbia.
- Bland, J. (Ed.) (2015). Teaching English to Young Learners: Critical Issues in Language Teaching with 3-12 Year Olds. London: Bloomsbury Academic.
- Ellis, G. and Ibrahim, N. (2015). Teaching Children How to Learn. Delta Publishing.
- Mourão, S. & Lourenço, M. (Eds.) (2015). Early Years Second Language Education: International Perspectives on Theories and Practice. Abingdon: Routledge
- Robinson, P., Mourão, S. & Kang, N-J (2015). English Learning Areas in pre-primary classrooms: an investigation of their effectiveness. London: British Council.
- Murphy, V. & Evangelou, M. (Eds.) (2016). Early Childhood Education in English for Speakers of Other Languages. London: British Council.
- García Mayo, M. P. (Ed.) (2017). Learning foreign languages in primary school: Research insights. Bristol: Multilingual Matters.
- Hempel, M., Kötter, M. & Rymarczyk, J. (2017). Fremdsprachenunterricht in der Grundschule in den Bundesländern Deutschlands: Eine Bestandsaufnahme des Status Quo und seiner gewünschten Weiterentwicklung. Berlin: Peter Lang.
- Enever, J. & Lindgren, E. (Eds.) (2017). Early language learning: complexity and mixed methods. Bristol: Multilingual Matters.
- Wilden, E., & Porsch, R. (Eds.). (2017). The professional development of primary EFL teachers: National and international research. Münster: Waxmann.
- Bland, J. (ed.) (2018) Using Literature in English Language Education: Challenging Reading for 8-18 Year Olds. London: Bloomsbury Academic.
- Enever, J. (2018). Policy & Politics in Global Primary English. Oxford: Oxford University Press. [Janet Enever explores the complex forces that shape national and local language education policy-making for the early introduction of English as a foreign language at primary and pre-primary levels worldwide. This is the first book of its kind demonstrating the extent to which English is now perceived as a pre-requisite for participation in the global economy, reflecting the rapid development of early start English now exploding across Asia, Latin America and other fast-growing economies.]
- Garton, S. & Copland, F. (Eds.) (2018) The Routledge Handbook of Teaching English to Young Learners. Routledge. ISBN: 9781138643772.
- Papp, S., Rixon, S. with Field, J. (2018) Examining Young Language Learners: Research and practice in assessing the English of school-age learners. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. ISBN: 9781316638200.
- Schwartz, M. (Ed.) Preschool Bilingual Education: Agency in Interactions Between Children, Teachers, and Parents. Dordrecht: Springer. ISBN 978-3-319-77227-1, ISBN 978-3-319-77228-8 (e-book).
- Schwartz, M. & Palviainen, Å. (Eds.) (2018). 21st Century Pre-school Bilingual Education. Abingdon: Routledge.
- Zein, S. & Garton, S. (2019) Early Language Learning and Teacher Education: International Research and Practice. Bristol: Multilingual Matters.
- Murão, S. & Ellis, G. (2020) Teaching English to Pre-primary Children. Stuttgart: Delta Publishing.
- Papadopoulos, I, & Savić, V. (2020), Eds.Teaching Young Foreign Language Learners in SE Europe: multidimensional research on policy and pedagogical practices. Thessaloniki: Disigma Publications ISBN: 978-618-5242
- Kuchah, H. and Pinter A. (forthcoming) Ethical and Methodological Issues in Researching Young Language Learners in School Contexts. Clevedon: Multilingual Matters.
- Ibrahim, N. (2014). Perceptions of identity in trilingual 5-year-old twins in diverse pre-primary educational contexts, In Mourão, S. and Lourenço, M. (Eds.) Early Years Second Language Education: International Perspectives on Theories and Practice, Abingdon: Routledge, pp. 46-61.
- Alexiou, T. (2015) Vocabulary uptake from Peppa pig: a case study of preschool EFL learners in Greece. In C. Gitsaki, & T. Alexiou (Eds.) Current Issues in Second/foreign Language Teaching and Teacher Development: Research and Practice (pp. 285-301). Newcastle upon Tyne, UK: Cambridge Scholars Publishing.
- Alexiou, T. & Mattheoudakis, M. (2015) A paradigm shift in EFL material development for young learners: Instilling pedagogy in teaching practice. In C. Giannikas, L. McLauglin, N. Deutsch & G. Fanning (Eds.) Children learning English: From research to practice (pp.77-96). IATEFL YLT SIG book. Reading: Garnet publishers Ltd.
- Rymarczyk, J. (2015). Aussprachekompetenz im Schriftspracherwerb mit TING-Stiften und Bildwörterbüchern (Pronunciation competency in the context of literacy acquisition with TING-pencils and picture dictionaries). In Böttger, H. & Schlüter, N. (Eds.). Fortschritte im Frühen Fremdsprachenlernen. Tagungsband zur 4. FFF-Konferenz (Progress in early language learning. Conference proceedings of the 4th FFF-Conference). Praxis Pädagogik, Westermann, pp. 152-161.
- Wilden, E. & Porsch, R. (2015). Die Hör- und Leseverstehensleistungen im Fach Englisch von Kindern am Ende der Grundschulzeit unter besonderer Berücksichtigung von lebensweltlicher Ein- und Mehrsprachigkeit (The EFL listening and reading competencies of pupils at the end of primary schooling with a special focus on mono- and multilingual backgrounds). In M. Kötter & J. Rymarczyk, J. (Eds.), Englischunterricht auf der Primarstufe: neue Forschungen – weitere Entwicklungen (Teaching English at primary level: recent research – further developments). Frankfurt: Peter Lang, pp. 59-80.
- Wilden, E., & Porsch, R. (2015). The earlier the better? Empirical evidence on primary EFL instruction. In T. Pattison (Ed.), IATEFL 2014. Harrogate Conference Selections (p. 76-81). Faversham, UK: IATEFL.
- Ibrahim. N. (2016). Developing literacy, and identity, in multiple languages. In B. Street (Ed.) Encyclopaedia of language and education. Volume 3: Literacies and language education. Switzerland: Springer International Publishing, pp. 1-14
- Mourão, S. & Robinson, P. (2016). Facilitating the learning of English through collaborative practice. In V. Murphy and M. Evangelou (Eds.), Early Childhood Education in English for Speakers of Other Languages. London: British Council.
- Wilden, E. & Porsch, R. (2016). Learning EFL from year 1 or year 3? A comparative study on children’s EFL listening and reading comprehension at the end of primary education. In M. Nikolov (Ed.). Assessing young learners of English: Global and local perspectives. New York: Springer, pp. 191-212.
- Dausend, H. (2017). Theory and practice in English primary teacher education. A review of empirical research literature until 2015. In: Wilden, E. & Porsch, R. (Eds.), The professional development of in-service and pre-service primary EFL teachers. National and international research. Münster, Germany: Waxmann.
- Papp, S. (2018) Assessment of young English language learners. In S. Garton and F. Copland (Eds.), The Routledge Handbook of Teaching English to Young Learners. Routledge. ISBN: 9781138643772.
- Alexiou, T. & Milton, J. (2020) Pic-Lex: A new tool of measuring receptive vocabulary for very young learners. In Zoghbor, W. & Alexiou, T. Advancing ELT Education. Dubai, UAE: Zayed University publications.
- Alexiou, T., Roghani, S. & Milton, J. (2019) Assessing the Vocabulary Knowledge of Preschool Language Learners. In Prosic-Sandovac, D. & Rixon, S. Integrating Assessment into Early Language Learning and Teaching Practice (pp.207-220), Bristol: Multilingual Matters.
- Ibrahim, N. (2019). Children’s multimodal visual narratives as possible sites of identity performance. In P. Kalaja and Melo-Pfeiffer, S. (Eds.). Visualising Multilingual Lives: More Than Words. Bristol: Multilingual Matters.
- Piske, Thorsten & Steinlen, Anja K. (2019). Mehrsprachigkeit als Herausforderung und Chance in der Grundschule. In: Franz-Joseph Meißner & Christiane Fäcke (Hrsg.). Handbuch Mehrsprachigkeits- und Mehrkulturalitätsdidaktik. Tübingen: Francke, 280-283.
- Steinlen, Anja K. & Piske, Thorsten (2019). Mehrsprachigkeitsansätze in vorschulischen Bildungseinrichtungen. In: Franz-Joseph Meißner & Christiane Fäcke (Hrsg.). Handbuch Mehrsprachigkeits- und Mehrkulturalitätsdidaktik. Tübingen: Francke, 276-279.
- Savić, V. (2020). Visual literacy for young language learners: Multimodal texts in Content-Based Instruction. In G. Neokleous, A. Krulatz, & R. Farrelly, Handbook of research on cultivating literacy in diverse and multilingual classrooms, (pp. 166-189). Hershey, Pennsylvania, USA: IGI Global.
- Ellis, G. and Ibrahim, N. (forthcoming). Teachers’ image of the child in ELT. In Kuchah, H. and Pinter A. Ethical and Methodological Issues in Researching Young Language Learners in School Contexts. Clevedon: Multilingual Matters.
- Ibrahim, N. (forthcoming). Artefactual narratives of multilingual identity: methodological and ethical considerations in researching children. In: Kuchah, H. and Pinter A. Ethical and Methodological Issues in Researching Young Language Learners in School Contexts. Clevedon: Multilingual Matters.
- The Language Learning Magician – a project co-funded by the Erasmus + programme of the European Union, including ten partners from four European countries. One of the main aims is the development of a computer game that can be used as an assessment tool for learning languages at primary school level. See more information and videos about the game at www.thelanguagemagician.net . Click on the trailer at the bottom right of the homepage for an overview of how the assessment works (submitted by ELL-ReN member Louise Courtney, a member of the Project).
- Aspectos Culturales Ciclo 1 (Cultural Aspects in the first cycle of schooling): The video aims to give English teachers working with children in the early grades ideas about how to incorporate cultural elements into their classes. The video is the result of a project carried out in the kindergartens of public schools in the state of Aguascalientes, Mexico. The project was completed by a team of researchers from the University of Texas at San Antonio, Barry University, USA and the ITESO Guadalajara in Mexico. Lead investigators: Peter Sayer & Ruth Ban https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1kcQPmez9A